Submission: May 2, 2013
Registration: March 3, 2013
Prizes: 1st Prize € 3.500 2nd Prize € 5.000
Type: Open competition for students
International ideas competition VELUX Award 2014 for Students of Architecture that wants to encourage and challenge students of architecture to explore the theme of daylight in its widest sense – and to create a deeper understanding of this specific and ever-relevant source of energy and light.
The award seeks to challenge the future of daylight in the built environment with an open-minded and experimental approach. The Award seeks to widen the boundaries of daylight in architecture, including aesthetics, functionality, sustainability, and the interaction between buildings and environment.
“Light of Tomorrow” is the overall theme of the award that celebrates and promotes excellence in completed study works from students all over the world.
The Award contains no specific categories, but entries may focus on:
- Concepts with focus on sunlight as a natural source of light and energy
- The contribution of daylight to high visual quality and interior comfort that support people’s lives and living conditions
- The rethinking of daylight in urban or suburban living contexts
- The importance of sunlight and daylight for sustainable architecture that takes into account the rhythm and balance of nature
- Abstract concepts like daylight vs. artificial light, day vs. night, in vs. out etc.