Application Submission: January 20, 2014
Location: London, United Kingdom
Prizes: Not Specified
Type: Restricted projects competition for architects with up to 5 teams selected.
Restricted Competition looking for architects for the design of The Crystal Palace as a new cultural destination for London in the spirit, scale and magnificence of the original.
The Crystal Palace has remained a symbol of Victorian innovation, inventiveness and enthusiasm for all things new and wondrous. It has inspired successive generations for over 150 years: to such an extent that an Act of Parliament in 1990 specified that any new building erected on the site must be “in the spirit of Paxton’s original building”.
This is the challenge set by this competition: to reconstruct the Crystal Palace in a way that is faithful to the spirit of the original, in all its ingenuity, scale and magnificence, to create an internationally recognised landmark building. This will include:
- A strong relationship between the Palace and the park
- A permanent structure with a similar footprint to the original Palace
- A translucent and delicate structure, as was the original building
- An adaptable and flexible internal space, guided by the internal spatial qualities of the original Palace
- Active facades
- Design solutions that are responsive to the surrounding heritage landscape
- A long term sustainable role for both the Palace and the park
The new building will be a cultural centre of international standing, responding to modern-day requirements for social, economic and environmental sustainability. It will benefit both the local area and London as a global city, through an awe-inspiring design.