Details: INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC COMPETITION FOR THE DESIGN OF THE URBAN PARK PROJECT OF PRAÇA DE ESPANHA
On March 30th of 2017 the International Public Competition for the design of the urban park of Praça de Espanha was launched by Lisbon Municipality.
The future Park of Praça de Espanha will have a total area of 45.000sqm. Today, the connection between Avenida dos Combatentes to Avenida Calouste Gulbenkian cuts trough Praça de Espanha, dividing it into a group unconnected spaces.
• Integrate the future park into Lisbon´s green spaces network;
• The park should be complementary, in terms of design and functions, to those existing in the Gardens of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation;
• Promotion of the Park as a place of leisure and recreation, a pole of attraction of the surroundings with:
o Esplanades and small commerce associated to the subway entrance;
o Children’s Park;
o Outdoor sports and fitness facilities and spaces
o Areas of stay, reading and multigenerational conviviality.
• Concentrate crossing traffic in the perimeter of Praça de Espanha, improving traffic performance and allowing for the creation of the Park space with easy access;
• Requalification of the roads leading to the future Park (Av. Dos Combatentes and Av. Calouste Gulbenkian);
• Integration of the Park with the surrounding buildings and strengthening of the future services axis of the city; Praça de Espanha / Entrecampos.
For the Unidade de Execução da Praça de Espanha, the Municipality defined a broad set of intervention principles regarding road planning, pedestrian circulation and land occupation. The future Urban Park is the central element of the Unidade de Execução da Praça de Espanha.